Monday, May 21, 2007

January 19, 1934


"How Are they Going to Stop Us?" asks Cardinals Pitching Ace

Dean predicts Pennant for St. Louis


Cardinals pitcher Dizzy Dean turned heads at an interview yesterday when he made bold predictions for himself, his brother, and his team. The Cardinals WILL win the Pennant, he promised. His brother Paul would play a key part in making that happen, said Dean. "Paul's going to be a sensation. He'll win 18-20 games. I'll count 20 to 25 for myself. I won 20 last season and I know I'll pass that figure," said a confident Dean.
Editors Note: IRL, Dean made good on his prediction. The Cardinals, of course, did win the NL pennant. Dizzy won 30, and his rookie brother Paul (known as "Daffy") won 19. Dizzy is known for making the observation "It ain't braggin if you can do it."

No comments: